Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Who the Hell is Krampus?

It is a little early for Christmas blogs... but I just had to plug Krampus for my pottery sale at Regional #7 this Saturday, November 22.

I make little Krampus Jugs.  I can never make enough of them.


I first heard of Krampus when I met a fellow tradesman from Minnesota. He linked me up to this video and it has become "our song". Roger plays a Krampus in the upcoming winter event in Grand Marais, MN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOd3mW_bJUw&index=19&list=FLld5yPMyhpEQsHWkY1BjcWw


Die Seer - Ubern See.... we still don't have a translation of the song except the title... "Ubern lake".... I think.

But who is Krampus?

Krampus is the dark companion of St. Nicholas. Europeans holiday gift-giver, St Nick, gives good children gifts on December 6.  Bad children are punished by Krampus, the hell-bound counterpart. He has many names, Knecht, Ruprecht, Certa, Perchten, Black Peter, Schmutzli, Pelznickel, Klaubauf... and Krampus. Krampus punishes naughty children with switches and rusty chains, sometimes dragging them to the firey place below and has been known to eat really bad children. Not a nice guy. Here in America, we have deleted this fellow from our Holiday, except for the finding of coal in our stockings occasionally.

Here are just two of peoples images of what Krampus looks like...




So celebrate the Holiday this year and remember there is a dark side to our traditions. Go buy American Crafts. Be good.

my krampus collection

No comments: