Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Easy Weaver Loom, Susan Faulkner Weaver's Book... Handwoven Tape, Old Shirt = Colonial Apron



All tied up

I recently picked up a small new loom at a second-hand shop. I weave small bands of tape for colonial costumes and handbags. When I am at events I use a small box loom and hanging gate looms to demonstrate how it is done, but it is hard to demonstrate when I have to be literally tied to these looms by a cord around my waist.  Visitors are asking questions, wanting to buy, wanting to try weaving and I have to get tied up and untied up again.


So I was pleased to find this little loom that I can bring to my events and let people try band weaving.  It is very sturdy and well made.  The heddle floats on the threads.  It is set up to weave a piece about 6" wide and the threads are attached to a piece of velcro glued to the front and back beams.  The beams move nicely and have metal gears and stops. There is a block of wood behind the heddle where you can rest the heddle on in the up position, and a catch on it to rest the heddle in the low position.


To weave my small bands, I had to make some modifications.  I put a small nail in the center back beam to attach my warp loop to.  I removed the block of wood in the center easily with my screwdriver.  It gets in the way when weaving. Without the block in the way, you can weave about 12 inches before you have to wind your beam. And... I put a string and cord with a table hook on the back so I could attach it to the table. Now I can beat my weft firmly without the loom moving toward me.









I also recently bought Susan Faulkner Weavers book, Handwoven Tapes.  Susan did a great job explaining early tape weaving in Pennsylvania.  It is a lovely book filled with old and new bands, samples of how they were used and the history behind it all.

So I decided to set up my new loom to make a band for my granddaughters apron for her Colonial Costume. 

I picked out one of Susan's patterns on page 103. It did not have a threading chart, but this is easy to do on simple striped bands. Striped bands were used here on the eastern coast of America. The colors and patterns go well with checked aprons.


I cut my warp 58 inches long. This wove down to a 38 inch finished length.  I loop one end on my new beam nail and set the heddle right in the loom and easily threaded this short length.  




I cut the back out of an old plaid shirt after removing my buttons to the button jar.  An extra large shirt back is a good size for an adult apron.

And in less than an hour, my new apron is done!




Are you new to Weaving?  These little bands are easy to do, fun, hundreds of patterns and colors, great for modern weavers and reenactors. There are numerous new looms being made and you can find help right here on this blog to make your own quick and easy picture frame loom.

If you are not interested or excited yet, just look at my collection of loom photos here...
https://www.pinterest.com/potterymom1/weaving-band-looms/

The Easy Weaver I used here is made by Harrisville Designs in New Hampshire.

Susan Faulkner Weavers book, Handwoven Tape, is available at Amazon.com

My easy book, Tape Loom Weaving... simplified for beginners to learn how to weave tapes, stripes and fancy pick-up patterns is available at Amazon.com and my web site... www.eastknollpottery.com

Thanks for connecting and sharing with me on my blog!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job with the nail on the back beam. I have taught dozens of people to weave on an Easy Weaver, it’s a good loom, but I find the velcro kind of useless.

Sandy said...

Reggie, that is totally awesome. Can't wait to see you in October

Glorian Sipman said...

I realize this blog post is a number of years old, but I'm hoping I might still get a reply. I curious about adding the nail to the back beam and now you attached the warp knot. Did you just hook the knot over the nail? And it stayed in place when you advanced the warp? Also, did you attach the front the warp to the front beam? Or, did you just hold the front warp end in your hand?

Thanks!

reggie the potter and tape loom weaver said...

I am still here! I drilled a tiny hole in the center of the back beam and tapped in a tiny nail with a small head. If I have just a few threads, I knot them and hook a couple of loops over the nail. When you start rolling the loom, just arrange the threads on sides of the knot so they are not too bulky. I use strips of paper as I roll so the warp doesnt get wonky. The front beam is tied on just like you do a big loom. Thank you for your questions! have fun!